The small triangular shaped shields from the Collingwood Bay area of Papua New Guinea’s Oro Province are extremely rare. The government anthropologist for New Guinea in the 1920s F.E. Williams did research in this area and noted that shields were called “beha” or “pere” and were carried with the pointed end down in one hand and a spear in the other. Interesting, Williams noted that on raids the Binandere warriors were accompanied by their womenfolk who carried extra weapons and “were always ready to urge on the fighting men and even to mingle in the fray” (Williams, 1930: 164). The present shield is a superb example in excellent condition with only very minor fraying along the top edge. The piece comes from the Jolika Collection of Marcia and John Friede, dates to the late 19th/early 20th century, is 27 7/8” (70.8 cm) in height. The price is available upon request. Questions?